21 South George Street
Millersville, PA 17551 Directions & Parking
We look forward to your participation and request that you read carefully the instructions provided related to registration, requesting accommodations, parking and preparation for the event.
While there is no requirement of advance registration, candidates (current students and alumni) from member schools are strongly encouraged to pre-register through their Career Services Office. Member schools and phone numbers are listed below. Please contact your college/university with questions you may have regarding the event.
Albright College: 610-921-7630
Alvernia University: 610-796-8225
Elizabethtown College: 717-361-1206
Lancaster Bible College: 717-569-7071 x5581
Lebanon Valley College: 717-867-6237
Messiah College: 717-691-6016
Millersville University: 717-872-3774
Penn State Harrisburg: 717-948-6260
Shippensburg University: 717-477-1484
Wilson College: 717-262-2006 x3314
York College of PA: 717-815-1452
Candidates from non-member schools will be able to register on site and enter the event after 11 am for a $20.00 fee (cash only). If you have questions please contact Sharon Givler, Lebanon Valley College Center for Career Development, 717-867-6237 or email@example.com.
If you need reasonable accommodations the day of the event, please notify Stephanie Perago, TRDC Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 15, 2015. The Teacher Recruitment Day Consortium will review your accommodation(s) request and assess if reasonable accommodations can be provided for the teacher fair. There is no guarantee the Consortium will be able to provide a reasonable accommodation if contacted after the stated deadline.
All candidates should dress professionally and bring plenty of résumés to distribute to employers. Candidates are strongly encouraged to arrive by 1 pm for the best chance of meeting with all school districts of interest.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please read and follow the Parking Instructions provided.
Tip 1: Prepare for the Event/Do Your Homework
- Review the website (open for viewing on February 10, 2015) for a list of school systems/employers attending the fair and their available openings.
- Identify the school districts where you hope to be interviewed. Research the districts so that you know something about them.
- Have a general priority order, as some school districts may have long lines. Decide in advance if you want to stand in line or proceed to another district.
- Interviewing is a two-way street. Plan the questions you will ask of each school district and be prepared to answer questions about yourself and your experience. Practice introducing yourself and some of the skills and experiences you plan to highlight.
- Plan exactly what professional attire you will wear (see below). Make sure your clothing is cleaned and pressed.
- Make arrangements for childcare, if needed, for the day of the event. Do NOT bring your child (spouse, parents, etc.) to the event.
- Gather essential items to bring with you:
- More than enough copies of your résumé
- Additional information to enable you to complete any applications given you (names and addresses of references, unofficial transcripts, etc.)
- A letter-sized portfolio or neat tote bag with notepad and pen. Do NOT carry a backpack into the fair.
- Your research notes on your preferred school districts
- A compact professional portfolio of your work samples
HELPFUL HINT: Turn your cell phone OFF and do not carry it, or keys, in your hand or clipped to your clothing. Keep your left hand free to give your resume to the recruiter and shake hands with your right.
Tip 2: Dress Professionally
- Dress for an interview for a professional position, not in a casual "student" style. This means a suit or sport coat, tie and dress pants for men; pantsuit or tailored dress, skirt and blazer, etc. for women. Be conservative so that the focus is on you, not your clothes.
- Professional dress includes footwear; do not wear sneakers, ultra-high heels or flip flops!
- Be neat, clean and well groomed. Avoid excessive makeup, jewelry and perfume.
- Do not smoke or chew gum. Breath mints are OK.
HELPFUL HINT: Print your full name and major area of certifications on your TRDC nametag and wear it so it is easily seen when you shake the interviewer's hand.
Tip 3: The Day of the Fair
- Try to arrive in the early part of the day. The fair will be crowded, and some employers may not stay until the end of the event.
- If you pre-registered (no need to do so, however) bring your completed red registration card with you. It is your admission ticket to the fair. If you do not have it with you or did not pre-register, then you will be able to complete the red card at the fair.
- You will receive an Employer Guidebook at the fair. Check also for additional handouts, updates and newly posted information.
- Orient yourself to the facility by reviewing the floor plan, locating restrooms, etc.
- Organize the list of schools, in priority order, you plan to visit. Note which schools are of general interest to you and which have actual job openings in your area of certification.
- Organize your materials and have your résumé readily available to hand to the interviewer.
- Develop an interview plan that includes taking a break to assure that you will look and feel your best throughout the day.
- NOTE: Because the Guidebook is printed in advance, a district’s actual openings may be different from what is printed in the Guidebook.
Tip 4: During the Interview
- When meeting the interviewer, establish eye contact, present a firm handshake, introduce yourself and explain why you have chosen this school system.
- Be confident and take an active part in your interview. Have a three point agenda: know what you are looking for, what you have to offer and what questions you will ask about the school system.
- Listen carefully and take conversational cues from the interviewer.
- Respond to questions with specific and concise examples. Try to avoid pat answers and clichés.
- Respond truthfully while maintaining a positive picture of yourself.
- Ask for school system information, application materials and the interviewer's business card.
- Ask about the hiring process, including time frame and actual or potential openings.
- At the end of the interview, offer a firm handshake and express your appreciation, using the interviewer's name.
- NOTE: Some school districts may make firm offers at the event. Be prepared to respond or to request sufficient response time.
HELPFUL HINT: Keep an accurate record of your contact with school systems, including names of your interviewers, follow-up procedures and expected time lines.
Tip 5: After the Event
- Promptly complete any on-line applications or ones you were given and mail to the appropriate school districts. Forward your credentials/supporting documents with your application, as instructed by the employer. Do NOT send originals of any document except a transcript, if requested.
- Within two days send typed, professional thank you letters, addressed to the specific interviewers.
- Within two weeks, make telephone calls to determine if the schools have received your application materials, to check on the status of vacant positions and to express your continued interest.
- Make note of the dates of your follow-up calls and record the name of the person with whom you spoke. Keep copies of all application materials and letters you send.
HELPFUL HINT: After you accept a teaching position, be courteous enough to inform and withdraw from any other districts where you may have applications pending. Inform and thank your references when you accept a position.
Please remember to complete the Candidate Evaluation Form before leaving the Teacher Recruitment Day Consortium Fair. Thank you.
Good Luck! - From the career counselors of the sponsoring colleges and universities
Material adapted from the 2013 Job Search Handbook for Educators, American Association for Employment in Education. Revised 10/13more
The registration fee for this event is $150 which includes 1 table with 2 recruiters.
Employers may register 2 additional representatives (at $25.00 per person) up to a maximum of 4 individuals per one table. A 2nd table may be requested for an additional $50 and for a maximum of 2 additional representatives. The total number of recruiters for two tables may not exceed six (6). Space is limited and additional tables will be approved on a first come, first served basis. Please note: Employers requesting a 2nd table may be assigned to a specific location in the event room at the discretion of the event organizers.
Employers interested in participating in this event are encouraged to register on-line as early as possible.
No refunds will be granted in the event the fair is cancelled due to weather conditions or other circumstances beyond our control. Cancelation information will be posted on this site; email notifications will be sent to the primary contact person on the school's Registration.
PLEASE NOTE: The sole purpose of the Teacher Recruitment Day Fair is to offer traditional classroom teaching career opportunities to our students and alumni. We reserve the right to limit employers to those most appropriate for the interests of our students/alumni with Teaching Certified Bachelor's and Master's degrees. We therefore have specific limits regarding specialty schools, substitute/placement services and summer camps. If you fall into one of these categories, please contact us directly to discuss your employment opportunities. Contact Stephanie Perago, TRDC Employer Registration Administrator. Phone: 717-815-2043, Email: email@example.com. Further, we cannot permit solicitation or marketing of products or services to our students at the event, and do not specifically endorse any of our employers or guidebook advertisers.
Lodging & Visitor Info
The following are some suggested locations where you could secure lodging if needed:
Fairfield Inn by Marriott
150 Granite Run Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601
Heritage Hotel - Lancaster
500 Centerville Road, Lancaster, PA 17601
Sleep Inn and Suites
310 Primrose Lane, Mountville, PA 17554
2929 Hempland Road, Lancaster, PA 17601
Other Lodging & Area Information:
PA Dutch Convention & Visitor's Bureau
This event is now over.